Operating program: Educating for competitive strength
Name of the project: New methods and forms of support for the learning of foreign languages at SOS
Shortened title: Foreign languages in practice
Registration number : CZ.1.07/1.1.02/02.0167
Overall level of financial support: 5 497 041,72 Kč
Commencement of Implementation: 18.2.2010
End of implementation : 30.6.2012
PROJECT IMPLEMENTATION PLAN
The focus of the project is to improve the quality of the teaching of foreign languages (FL) at our school and to better prepare pupils for the usage of language in practice. The goal will be to solve 2 problems:
1. We will create a new material for specialized fields in English and German, which is missing on our market.We will authenticate these materials over the course of three years. (circa.30 teaching hours for the specialized fields of Machinery, Logistics, and Electro-technics).
2. For first year pupils (freshman) , who come from elementary school with different levels of language skills and abilities, we will prepare „ evening out „ courses which will fill in the gaps in knowledge and ability of the weaker pupils in order for them to reach the required level.
For both of these activities we will create material in paper form as well as in the form of E-learning, also including interactive tables. In addition, these activities will be complemented by a series of accompanying events for teachers and pupils (training, seminars, lectures, project days, specialized field trips, work meetings with other schools participating in the project and others).
We’ve set up 4 key activities overall:
1.„Leveling out module “will be implemented in a a 30 hour course which should help students from elementary school even out their shortcomings in order for them to reach the required level of A2. Lack of success in a foreign language is one of the causes of students giving up their studies before completion. For this module we are preparing methodical, linguistically worked out lessons, which contain all language skills.
2. A„Specialized“ module is being prepared for pupils in their third year. The goal is to fill in the missing instructional material for the specializations which are taught at our school- Machinery, Logistics, and Electro-technics. Through about 30 hour courses, our aim is to assist students in managing the basic terms in their chosen field . This knowledge will not only help those who after graduation go directly to work in their field, but also those who wish to continue in their studies at universities..
3. Supporting activities for pupils and teachers:
1. Every half-year during the implementation of the project we will organize 1 ( overall 5x) work meeting with foreign language teachers, teachers from the specialized subjects at SOS, who have promised us their co-operation, specialists from universities and from practice, and personelle from the unemployment office. We will also invite teachers from other specialized high schools who teach identical or related subjects to those taught at our school.
2. In the 2nd year of the project we will organize 1-2 day special excursions for pupils and teachers to companies in the Czech Republic in which the official language of the firm is English or German. The focus of these firms will correspond to our 2 pilot fields of study- Electro-technics (ET) and the operation and economics of transportation ( Logistics) Furthermore we will also undertake 2-4 day excursions abroad, especially to the headquarters of companies which have branches in the Czech Republic.
3.Also in the 2nd year of the project we will prepare 2 student project days, (1x Eng, 1x Germ)). Students participating in these will do presentations, which they will have made during the course of their attendance in their project module.
4.If we are unable to hire native speakers as teachers, we will employ them at least for 1-2 hour a week consultations for students as well as teachers.
5.We will create a web site for the project, where we will notify about the happenings of project activities, evaluate their performance, publish photos and video documents, present created products, and provide a medium for the sharing of experience.
6.We will organize an introductory conference for the project. There we’ll introduce our implementation-team, pupil-assistants, and representatives from co-operating schools and other institutions. Guests from many fields, chambers of commerce, the unemployment office, and so on will be invited. In detail we will get acquainted with the contents of the project, the budget,output and the results of the project. We will also ask them about their suggestions and ideas for increasing the quality of the project. .
4. Processing the output of the project, concluding conference
At the conclusion of the project we will process the findings and experience from the preparation and implementation of the project activities, including management and budgeting. The created materials we’ll have judged by specialists from NUOV, in order to determine their accuracy from the professional and methodological side.
The final activity will include a collection of material evaluating the experience and findings from the work with the project. In conclusion we will develop this material and make it into project brochures. From the financial side there will be a concluding professional audit and a final rendering of accounts within the framework of a concluding monitoring report. The results will also be presented on the website of the project.
The implementation of the project will be done by this team: a supervisor, a project amanger, a
material manager for both languages, a publicity assistant, a financial manager, a book-keeper, an
IT technician, a web-designer, and a secretary. Teaching will be organized by teachers, IC and MM
technicians, creators of instructional material and student-assistants.
Material acquired for the implementation of the project
For project activities, one classroom with workstations including IC and MM technology will be outfitted. We will buy 24 PC units including software, 2 interactive boards and 2 data projectors. Laptop computers will be made available. In addition a laser printer will be bought for the preparation of material.
1.We will make 8 products
- 6 sets of instructional material- 2 x for " Leveling-out" modules (1x for Eng, 1x for German – in
them are also parts created for e-learning and for the interactive board) and 4x for modules
"Specialization" – Electro-technics, Logistics (both for Eng and German - in them are also parts
created for E-learning and for the interactive board)
- 1 website designed for the project
- 1 concluding brochure for the project (project evaluation - modules, supporting activities)
2. We will support 10 persons – service providers. The supported persons will be lecturing
instructors at seminars and at training sessions.
3. We will support 20 persons –workers in the higher education field. The supported persons will
be teachers-participants in training sessions and seminars. (Work with the interactive board, LMS
Moodle and the creation of instructional material for the interactive board and for LMS Moodle)
4. We will support 120 pupils . They will be participants in the project education activities.-
courses, lectures, excursions
In the 2010/11 school year 45 pupils participated in the 4 leveling-out courses (3 Eng, 1 Germ) 37 of them successfully finished the course . None of the graduates of the course were evaluated as having an being insufficient at the end of the school year.The courses were favorably viewed by parents and students alike, and their interest encouraged us to continue the program in the 2011/2012 school year. 46 students participated in 3 courses (2 Eng, 1 Germ)
In the 2011/12 school year, 43 pupils participated in 5 specialized courses (3 in English - Logistics, Electro-technics, Machinery, 2 in German– Logistics, Electro-technics)
Events organized for students
1.11.2010 – Lecture „ How to Learn)“ – lecturer Mgr.Vladimíra Houšťová, Director of Pedagogy - Psychological clinic , Břeclav (79 participants)
9. 5.2011 – European Union Day - presentation and get-together (20 participants)
červen 2011 – Pupil training cyclec – work with the interactive board– lecturer Mgr.Pavel Holý (21 participants)
13.12.2011 – Presentation from the company Emerson Climate Technologies – lecturer Mgr.Soňa Križanová - Veselá, Human resources manager (26 participants)
21.12.011 – Excursion to the Technical museum in Vienna for students in project courses. – led by Mgr.Naděžda Belicová and the Austrian lecturer Helene Pammer (participation 25 students)
25. 1.2012 – Presentation from one of the biggest firms in the region– Bors Břeclav plc, focused on the use of foreign languages in the practice of transport and shipping companies – lecturer Ing.Dana Pospíšilová (34 participants)
Events attended by teachers
1. Conference and meeting with the representatives of co-operating schools:
9.4.2010 – Introductory conference, meeting of all project participants CJPP (30 participants) and
9.4.2010 - 1. Work meeting with the representatives of co-operating school SPS Jedovnice and SOS and SOU Vyskov in Breclav (9 participants)
4.-5.3.2010 – 2. Work meeting with the representatives of co-operating school in Břeclav (28 participants)
24.6.2010 – 3. Work meeting with the representatives of co-operating school in Jedovnice (17 participants)
14.10.2010 - 4. Work meeting with the representatives of co-operating school in Vyškov (20 participants)
2. Training sessions and seminars:
17.6.2010 – Introductory training cycle of the use of the instructional environment LMS Moodle - lecturer Mgr.Milan Kovařík (9 participants)
31.8.2010 – Training – Use of the interactive board in teaching– lecturer Mgr.Jana Peřinová (14 participants)
7.9.2010 – Training – Use of the SW Smart Classroom Suite in practice, and use of the interactive board. The training was joined with the opening of the newly equipped linguistic classroom– lecturer Mgr.Veronika Peřinová (10 participants)
12.10.2010 – Subsequent training of using of the interactive board - lecturer Mgr.Pavel Holý (8 participants)
11.11.2010 – Training -basic work with LMS Moodle – lecturer Mgr.Milan Kovařík (7 participants)
1.6.2011 – Other training - basic work with the interactive board – lektor Mgr.Pavel Holý (13 participants)
29.6.2011 – Training on Excel - lecturer Mgr.Milan Kovařík (7 participants)
16.12.2011 – Training – other work with LMS Moodle – lecturer Mgr.Pavel Holý (5 participants)
22.12.2011 - Training – LMS Moodle for advanced- lecturer Mgr.Milan Kovařík (9 participants)
Presently SOŠ and SOU Vyškov continue their building and machinery tradition in the region.. Successes have already been reached. Traditional companies and newly arising businesses are interested in the graduates of all our study programs.. In the 2010/11 school year 410 pupils were educated in them .
The Jedovnice Technical High School was established in 1953 and since that time has specialized in teaching machinery, electro-technics, and the IT field. In the 2010/11 school year 267 pupils were educated in it .